Tacoma, WA Pedestrian Accident Attorney
According to walkscore.com, the city of Tacoma is considered the second most “walkable” city in the state of Washington, following Seattle. The average “walk score” in Washington is 33, yet Tacoma, with nearly 200,000 residents has an average walk score of 53, and Seattle has a walk score of 74. Some of the most walkable areas in Tacoma include:
- The Proctor District, known as a city within a city, nestled in the north end of Tacoma is considered highly pedestrian-friendly, with a wonderful variety of restaurants, shops, activities, and conveniences.
- The 6th Avenue neighborhood of Jefferson Park in Tacoma has a highly walkable neighborhood. The neighborhood park has fields for team sports, along with picnic areas, playgrounds, and even a sprayground for hot summer days.
- Tacoma’s Seminary District, off Stevens, is a friendly, walkable neighborhood with close proximity to parks like the Jane Clark Park and Point Defiance Park. The Seminary District is close to the Ruston Way waterfront and offers easy access to the Proctor Districts for local shopping, restaurants, and the farmer’s market.
While it is definitely a good thing that Tacoma is such a walkable city, more pedestrians on the streets also increase the likelihood of more pedestrian accidents. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident and are injured as the result of a negligent driver, you could significantly benefit from having an experienced Tacoma pedestrian accident attorney by your side.
Why Choose a Tacoma Pedestrian Accident Attorney from Palace Law?
If you’ve been injured while walking in Tacoma by a negligent driver, you may find yourself facing medical expenses, and perhaps even unable to return to work. You need serious legal assistance, and you need it quickly. Palace Law is ready to help you through this difficult time—you do not need to deal with the consequences on your own. We will work hard to ensure you get the medical treatments you need, along with compensation to pay your medical expenses and make up for lost wages. When you choose Palace Law, you receive stellar legal representation, as well as:
- If you are too injured to drive, we can come to you.
- We have more than 1,500 positive reviews from satisfied clients.
- Our firm has four lawyers that have tried over 200 cases each—we are highly experienced.
- We are available 24/7.
- We offer a free comprehensive legal consultation, you pay $0 to hire us, and we only get paid if we win your case.
How Common are Pedestrian Accidents?
According to the CDC, in 2017, 5,977 pedestrians were killed in vehicle-related accidents across the United States—one death every 88 minutes. Additionally, an estimated 137,00 pedestrians were treated in emergency rooms for non-fatal crash-related injuries. All in all, per trip, pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely than those in a passenger vehicle to be killed in a car collision. Nearly half of all car collisions that resulted in a pedestrian death involved alcohol.
Pedestrians older than 65 accounted for about one-fifth of all pedestrian deaths, while another one-fifth of pedestrians killed in traffic accidents were children under the age of 15. The majority of pedestrian/vehicle accidents occur in urban areas, at night. Higher vehicle speeds increase the likelihood of a pedestrian being struck by a car as well as the severity of the injuries. Having a knowledgeable Tacoma pedestrian accident attorney from Palace Law in your corner can significantly reduce the adverse consequences of a pedestrian accident.
What Causes Most Pedestrian Accidents?
When drivers neglect to watch the road carefully, pedestrians can pay the price. The primary causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Drivers that are distracted, fatigued, or simply driving recklessly
- Motor vehicles, motorcycles, and even bicycles that fail to yield for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Drivers that exceed the speed limit and are unable to stop in time to miss a pedestrian
- Impaired drivers
- Defects in the designs of crosswalk locations
- Drivers that turn at intersections without properly looking both ways
Pedestrian accidents can happen on winding country roads with poor visibility but are much more likely to occur in urban areas with more traffic and more pedestrians.
What Injuries are Pedestrians Likely to Suffer When Hit by a Vehicle?
Because pedestrians have absolutely no protection—not even a helmet that a bicyclist or motorcyclist might have—the injuries they suffer following a car accident can be catastrophic. The impact of being hit by thousands of pounds of metal and glass can result in the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries, concussions, and other head injuries
- Deep lacerations and contusions
- Damage to major internal organs
- Paralysis and other spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones or damage to other parts of the musculoskeletal system
- Dental and facial injuries, including eye injuries and loss of vision
Because pedestrian injuries are likely to be so severe, having an experienced Tacoma pedestrian accident attorney in your corner is even more important. Your injuries may be so severe that you are unable to return to work for weeks, months, years—or forever. When you are left facing a mountain of medical expenses with no salary from work to pay even your normal monthly expenses, life can look pretty bleak. When you must deal with a recalcitrant insurance company on top of everything else, it can be overwhelming. The compassionate, knowledgeable attorneys at Palace Law understand your situation and can help you through this difficult time.
What Damages Am I Entitled to Receive Following a Tacoma Pedestrian Accident?
While your actual damages will depend on the circumstances surrounding your accident, generally speaking, the following damages could be available:
- Medical expenses, both current and future
- Lost wages, but current and future
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages in some cases where the defendant acted in a particularly egregious, malicious, or willful manner
How a Tacoma, WA Pedestrian Accident Attorney from Palace Law Can Help
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you deserve justice. An attorney from Palace Law can seek compensation for your pedestrian accident injuries, dealing with the insurance company on your behalf. At Palace Law, we have been protecting the rights and futures of Washington accident and injury victims for many, many years. We can help following an accident that has left you dealing with the pain and trauma of injuries, medical expenses, and lost wages. With more than 200 years of collective experience, we will comprehensively evaluate your situation, then work toward an equitable settlement for your injuries. Contact Palace Law today.